Sometimes the simplest of recipes are the tastiest. Especially when you have quality ingredients. There is nothing better than a ripe, creamy avocado smothered on thick toast. Well maybe there is…the addition of fetta cheese. This Smashed Avocado and Fetta on Toast recipe is not difficult to pull together at all. But every ingredient is a winner! The fetta is such a pungent flavour which goes so beautifully with the softness of avocado. Add to it the fragrant basil or mint, and the tang of lemon. Combine it all atop the best quality bread you can manage, and you truly have a lunch or breakfast option you definitely don’t have to go out for.
This is quite a ‘taste as you go’ recipe, the richness of the avocado and sharpness of the lemon you’re using may change your quantities slightly. Just make sure some makes it to the toast! Enjoy.
Smashed Avocado and Fetta on Toast
- 80 grams Olympus fetta
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 handful fresh mint or basil
- 4 slices dense crusty bread, thickly sliced
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- Halve avocado lengthways, de-stone and scoop out the flesh inside.
- Add to a small bowl and smash lightly with a fork
- Crumble fetta into the bowl and mix with avocado
- Tear basil or mint into small pieces (tearing releases the flavour) and lightly fold through the mixture
- Halve lemon and juice, tasting as you add to the mixture. You may find you only use half your lemon. But we like it lemony!
- Brush the bread with extra virgin olive oil. Place under a hot grill until toasted.
- Pile the fetta mixture onto toasts and serve immediately