If you haven’t tried ricotta cake before, you will love the moist rich texture. Ricotta gives the cake a denseness which makes it perfect to top off a beautiful dinner as a dessert cake. The prettiness of the berries throughout means it needs very little embellishment. Perhaps a scoop of your favourite cream, yoghurt or icecream and a simple dusting of icing sugar.
Very easy to make, and with a taste and texture almost like cheesecake. The flour lends a bit of solidity which holds the berries well. A little crust on the outside completes the picture.
This cake uses our full fat fresh Olympus Ricotta, which you can buy at your local independent retailer. The quality makes a difference. You are looking for an open-textured ricotta for this recipe.
Bring your eggs and ricotta to room temperature before using. During this time, also drain your ricotta cheese well. (Our wheels come with a strainer basket which is perfect for this).
Not too sweet, and brimming with berries, this cake is deliciously moreish. Bon appetit!
Ricotta and Berry Dessert Cake
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, large
- 400 grams Olympus Ricotta
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (about 115 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh berries (we used a combination of raspberries and blueberries)
- icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Line the base of a 20-22 cm springform cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add sugar, stir to mix and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, ricotta and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. (See recipe notes).
- Fold ricotta mixture into dry ingredients.
- Fold in melted butter.
- Fold in approximately 1 cup of berries, reserving 1/2 cup.
- Pour batter into your prepared tin
- Dot remaining berries on top of cake for presentation.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes until golden brown and cooked through the middle. (Our oven took a little longer, but we were generous with the berries). Test with a skewer to be sure.
- Cool in the tin before removing.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
- Beautiful with a dollop of vanilla icecream, or a scoop of double cream, creme fraiche or Olympus Unsweetened Natural Yoghurt.