Entertaining friends? Why not try these amazing marinated fetta, walnut and beetroot tarts to serve your guests. Perfect melt-in-your-mouth offerings which can prep the palate for a lovely dinner party. Also sophisticated enough to serve as tartlets for single-bite canapes. The sweet earthy flavour of balsamic beetroot blends beautifully with the flavours of Olympus marinated fetta. The toasted walnuts and dill complete the picture for a well-balanced and delicious morsel.
The inspiration for this recipe came from last year’s Regional Flavours Producers Dinner, where renowned chef Deniz Coskun served a wonderful beetroot and Olympus marinated fetta entree.
Marinated Fetta, Walnut and Beetroot Tarts
- 1/2 tub Olympus marinated fetta (to taste)
- 4 baby beets
- 12 savoury tart shells
- 2 Tb balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 12 small sprigs fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- Peel baby beetroot and rub with olive oil and lightly salt
- Roast beetroot for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked through in a medium oven. Alternatively, use pre-cooked baby beets.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Chop beetroot finely and add to pan.
- If using pre-cooked beets, let them cook through nicely in the pan first.
- Add balsamic vinegar and cook down approximately 1-2 minutes.
- When cooked allow to cool.
- To assemble, add beetroot to the base of each tart, followed by a good serving of crumbled marinated fetta.
- Top with a few toasted walnuts, and a small sprig of fresh dill to finish.