Feeling like making something easy and cheesy? Enter the halloumi and mushroom burger. Mushroom and halloumi are hearty meat substitutes which can please even the most committed meat lover. We love mushrooms for their earthy flavour, and they’re super healthy with lots of vitamins and minerals. This burger is lifted with yummy grilled capsicum and fresh veg. The gorgeous caramelised onion gives it all that extra depth and sweetness.
Experiment with your favourite burger bun. Try a Turkish bun, ciabatta bread or a brioche. If you aren’t eating carbs, this is equally good as a stack – you could also add in some grilled zucchini or grilled eggplant – or both.
Top it off with a creamy basil dressing, or if you’re keen for some heat, it goes beautifully with smoked chilli honey. Try a local favourite, Blended blazed smoked chilli honey. This goes beautifully with our minted halloumi…but beware the heat!
Mushroom and Halloumi Burger
- 1 whole Portabella/Flat Mushroom, stem removed
- 1 Burger Bun
- 1 small handful Rocket or Lettuce
- 2 slices Tomato
- 2 slices Olympus Halloumi
- 2 slices Store-Bought Char-grilled Capsicum
- 1/2 Brown Onion, sliced
- 1 Tb Basil Pesto
- 1 Tb Whole Egg Mayonaise
- 1-2 teaspoons Blended Smoked Chilli Honey
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Brush mushrooms with olive oil and place stalk side down in frying pan cooking approximately 5 minutes before turning to cook the other side.
- While cooking the mushrooms, heat a second pan to a high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook for approximately five minutes, until golden brown.
- Once onion is cooked, transfer to mushroom pan, and turn down to a low heat to keep warm.
- Place your Olympus halloumi slices in the onion pan, no oil needed on a medium heat. Cook approximately 1 minute each side.
- Lightly toast your burger bun on a medium grill for 1 minute per side.
- Spread your basil mayo or smoked chilli honey over the base of the burger.
- Add your Olympus halloumi, top with mushroom, roast capsicum, tomato and rocket. Add more sauce if you desire before devouring immediately.