Roasted potatoes are loved by the Greeks, and they are made unique with the inclusion of plenty of garlic, lemon and oregano. Due to their sharp lemony, herby flavour, Greek lemon potatoes pair equally well with seafood, or a rich lamb dish. Topped with Olympus fetta cheese, there is even more sharpness, and a creaminess which is very satisfying and very more-ish! You can also finish with a sprinkle of fresh oregano if you have it.
These potatoes are very easy to make but look impressive and go with any main dish. They are the perfect thing when you need to ‘bring a plate’ to a barbeque or party.
There are many ways to cook this dish. We have developed this version which halves the roasting time. The par-boiling ‘hack’ also fluffs the outside of the potato slightly. This makes them superbly soft inside, and delectably crunchy on the outside when roasted.
In wintertime, the dish is a beautiful accompaniment to a delectable Lamb Souvla. In summer, we love to serve it with hot or cold seafood and a fresh side salad.
Greek Lemon Potatoes with Olympus Fetta
- 8 whole brushed potatoes, large any variety suitable for roasting will do
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 block Olympus Cheese Fetta buffalo fetta or original fetta
- 1 tsp salt or use a sea salt grinder
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C, 190 deg C for a fan forced oven
- Peel potatoes and cut into pieces of approximately 3 cm in size (For a medium potato this is quartered)
- Add potatoes to a saucepan of water and bring to the boil on a high heat
- Par-boil for 8 minutes before draining completely
- Transfer potatoes to a large roasting pan
- Add crushed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and dried oregano to the pan, toss until well combined and potatoes are completely covered in oil
- Sprinkle with pepper and sprinkle or grind salt over to finish
- Roast in oven for approximately 40 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway
- Transfer to a serving dish, and top with crumbled fetta cheese
- Serve immediately, or make ahead and reheat in the oven approximately 20 minutes until warmed through.