This chorizo and halloumi starter is a simple dish, but it’s always a crowd pleaser. When you’re entertaining, it’s easy to overcomplicate things in the kitchen. Inevitably, we find ourselves at that point just before the designated time when we’re completely frazzled and praying they’ll be late! Concentrate on your main and perfect this easy starter which combines great quality ingredients with Olympus halloumi and chorizo.
If you want to take your halloumi to the next level (and look like you meant it) then whip up a delicious sauce to go with. We’ve rounded up some of our own, and some favourites from around the web which are sure to satisfy the masses.There’s sure to be one to suit your guests, and your dinner.
This is a casual entree you can whip up when they arrive. It has only one rule: no double dipping!
Chorizo and Halloumi Starter with 10 Dipping Sauce Options
- 3 good quality chorizo sausages
- 2 packet Olympus Halloumi
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Prepare your dip of choice and set aside (See our options below).
- Depending on your choice of dip, you may like to add some roasted cherry tomatoes, which add sweetness and tang to it all. If so, preheat your oven to 200 degrees C.
- Slice chorizo and set aside for frying.
- Cube halloumi into approximately 3 cm cubes and set aside. Aim to roughly match the quantity of chorizo slices with halloumi.
- If using tomatoes, add your punnet to a shallow sheet pan, drizzling with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Roast in your oven for approximately 10 minutes. (They will collapse a little when they’re done).
- Once tomatoes are just cooked, turn your oven to just warm and get to cooking your chorizo and halloumi.
- Heat two separate frying pans to a medium to high heat.
- Add chorizo to one, and halloumi to the other, cooking until lovely and brown (hint they don’t take long!)
- Halloumi has lots of natural fat, which is released when cooking. Once it is ready on one side, the fat will reduce. This is a good indication it’s divinely crispy and ready to turn.
- Serve it all immediately in a big pile on a gorgeous platter surrounded by little pots of dipping sauce, and watch them all dive in. Little toothpicks are always good to have on hand for this plating.
- Or if you prefer, you can give everyone their own pile of this delicious chorizo and halloumi starter, also adding a little side pot of dipping sauce of their own.