Today is Better Breakfast Day (25 September) and we thought, the best way to celebrate this amazing time of day, is to give you some inspiration for a better breakfast. That’s why, we’re rounding up some delicious ways to use Olympus Cheese products in your breakfast…from the super healthy to the weekend specials. Enjoy!
1. Olympus Fetta and Avocado Toast
Serves 1-2 (makes approx 2 slices)
Fetta and avo toast is such a yummy breakfast and can be ready in no time. The addition of lemon and your choice of either mint or basil adds a delicious flavour to the dish. This is quite a ‘taste as you go’ recipe, the richness of the avocado and sharpness of the lemon you’re using may change your quantities slightly. You can use any crusty bread for this recipe.
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- 40 grams Olympus Cheese Fetta
- Small handful of fresh mint or basil
- 2 slices of dense crusty bread, thickly sliced
- Olive oil, to brush
- Half avocado lengthways, de-stone and scoop out the flesh inside.
- Crumble fetta into the bowl and mix
- Tear basil or mint into small pieces (tearing releases the flavour) and fold through the mixture
- Add the juice of half a lemon, tasting as you go until it’s to your liking. We like it lemony!
- Brush the bread with olive oil and place under a hot grill until toasted
- Assemble the fetta mixture onto toasts and serve immediately
2. Fried Breakfast with Smoked Salmon and Olympus Halloumi
There’s nothing better than a fried breakfast when you have the time. This version combines delicious vegetables with Olympus halloumi and the added touch of a little smoked salmon. The perfect balance between healthy and decadent. This recipe allows you to have two pans on the go at once. If you don’t feel confident, you can use one, using your oven to keep it all warm.
- 2 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 2 eggs
- 1 small packet of smoked salmon
- 4 slices of Olympus halloumi (let’s face it one slice each would not be enough 😊)
- Olive oil, for frying
- Heat oven on low approximately 100 degrees or a ‘keep warm’ setting
- Heat olive oil in two non-stick frying pans
- Lightly season mushrooms and place stalk side down in the first pan.
- Season tomatoes with salt and a sprinkle of sugar. Place cut side down in the second pan
- Cook both for approximately 3 minutes on one side. Turn mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Turn tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes. When cooked, transfer to oven to keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in the pan the tomatoes were in, add spinach, letting it wilt slightly before removing and warming in the oven.
- Add olive oil to remaining pan on a medium to high heat. Crack eggs into the pan. When they start to sizzle, turn heat down to cook slowly before transferring to serving plate.
- Once your eggs are turned down, add halloumi slices to the other pan on a medium heat. (No need to add oil).
- Watch carefully to avoid burning. Turn after approximately 2 minutes to cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Assemble all the ingredients on your serving plate, adding slices of smoked salmon to serve. Drizzle with a balsamic glaze or reduction to taste, or omit if you prefer.
3. Olympus Ricotta Fruit Toast with Honey
Ricotta cheese makes a delicious topping for toast, giving you that extra protein and dairy hit for the day. The beauty of ricotta is that its lightness allows the flavours of whatever you put with it to shine through. Choose a rich fruit bread and top with honey and top with banana and strawberries, or fig, fresh peach, or whatever fruit takes your fancy.
- 4 slices of dense fruit bread
- ½ cup Olympus Ricotta
- 2 Tablespoons of local honey
- 1 small banana
- 1 handful of Queensland strawberries
- Toast bread in your toaster
- Meanwhile, work ricotta cheese in a small bowl so it’s spreadable
- Spread over hot toast
- Drizzle with honey
- Top with peach or your fruit of choice
- Lightly dust with cinnamon to serve.
4. Scrambled Eggs with Olympus Fetta and Ripe Tomatoes
Have you ever made scrambled eggs using fetta cheese? It makes a very creamy scrambled egg! This version is freshened up thanks to the addition of tomatoes. You could also add in herbs of your choice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped chunky or a handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 80 g Olympus fetta or buffalo fetta (this has a sharper, earthier flavour)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ onion, chopped finely
- Dried oregano
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, and fry onion until soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes, soften slightly in the pan
- Add oregano
- Pour in eggs, letting the bottom set slightly (about 30 seconds)
- Add crumbled fetta cheese
- Stir mixture gently until it reaches your preferred consistency for scrambled eggs
- Remove from heat just before cooked as will continue to cook in the pan
- Season to serve
5. Smoothie to Go with Olympus Greek Yoghurt
For a morning staple and a great breakfast on the go, you can’t go past a delicious smoothie. Mix it up with whichever fruit you like and experiment with flavours. We love a banana or berry smoothie made with either fresh or frozen fruit. Also try our Natural Yoghurt in place of Greek. For smoothness, add a splash of your favourite milk – cow, almond, coconut or soy. For extra fibre we added oats, but you can omit this if you like. We also love making mango lassis – simply replace banana with flesh of a mango, replace cinnamon with ½ tsp of ground cardamom and squeeze in a little lime.
- 1/2 cup Olympus Unsweetened Greek-Style Yoghurt
- ½ cup of milk of your choice
- 1 banana
- 2 Tb oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of honey or pure maple syrup (try first as your fruit may be sweet enough without it)
- Add all in blender and blend until smooth, adding more milk if necessary to your desired thickness.
Are you looking to stock or shop our great local cheese?
Head to our Stockists Page for more info.
This is a simple and refreshing dessert which has many variations and can be topped with whatever fruit you desire. This recipe uses both our Olympus ricotta and natural unsweetened yoghurt. Our products do not contain any additives, so they are the perfect base for a...
A simple yet divine tart which celebrates creamy, sharp fetta in a new and interesting way. If you haven’t tried whipped fetta before you will love it! Experiment with either our buffalo fetta, which is earthy and creamy, or our Olympus Fetta, which has a more...
Baked eggs, or Shakshuka is having a moment right now, and for good reason. Rich tomatoes, soft runny eggs…it’s downright divine. What better way to embrace this trend than by adding in some more of your breakfast favourites like halloumi and chorizo to create a next...